August 16, 2018
Salisbury, New Brunswick – Today, the Honourable Filomena Tassi, Minister of Seniors and Alaina Lockhart, Member of Parliament for Fundy Royal spent the day with seniors in the Village of Salisbury
MP Lockhart welcomed the opportunity to introduce Canada’s new Minister of Seniors to several initiatives undertaken in Salisbury to improve the quality of life for local seniors. In addition, the two listened to the concerns and priorities of local seniors.
To begin the day the Mayor of Salisbury, Terry Keating joined Minister Tassi and MP Lockhart on a tour of the Salisbury Seniors Technology Program’s Mobile Lab, where seniors are being taught technology skills with the use of iPads. This program was funded through a New Horizon for Seniors Program (NHSP) grant.
The next stop for the tour was at the Rural Rides’ Office. Minister Tassi and MP Lockhart learned about this great organization that was created in response to an ever-growing need in our rural communities for safe, affordable, reliable transportation.
Minister Tassi and MP Lockhart did a Rural Rides “ride-along” which included a stop at Highland Park to view the Government of Canada funded upgrades. The ride concluded at Legion #31, where Minister Tassi and MP Lockhart attended the Senior Day festivities during Salisbury’s Community Days.
This was a wonderful way for Minister Tassi and MP Lockhart to talk with the seniors in attendance on matters most important to them and their community.
Communities, like Salisbury, are making a difference in the lives of seniors. Today’s tour highlighted the meaningful action our government and our communities have taken to support seniors, here in Fundy Royal. After a lifetime of hard work, seniors deserve to enjoy a secure and dignified retirement.
“Seniors are the backbone of our communities. That’s why I was pleased to visit many organizations in Fundy Royal who work hard every day to ensure seniors continue making their valuable contributions to society and age with security. I also had the opportunity to meet with many seniors and listen to their concerns and experiences. I will continue to travel the country because I want to make sure we do what is right for our seniors.”The Honourable Filomena TassiMinister of Seniors
“Today our new Minister of Seniors, Filomena Tassi had the opportunity to see first-hand how Fundy Royal’s rural communities are working hard to support seniors in their community. Whether it is through Government supported programs, volunteer initiatives, or community events, we all can have a major impact on the quality of life of our seniors. I am proud that our government continues to make investments to provide support for seniors and is working to close gaps to ensure that every senior in Canada is cared for. It is wonderful that Minister Tassi made the people of Fundy Royal a priority so early in her mandate.”Alaina LockhartMember of Parliament for Fundy Royal
"We`re very appreciative of the interest shown by the Minister in Salisbury and in our seniors. Seniors are such a significant part of our community. It`s important that everything possible be done to allow them to remain in their homes as long as they can and continue to play an active role."Terry KeatingMayor of Salisbury
New Horizon for Seniors Programs
- NHSP Overview (Status: Closed): www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/funding/new-horizons-seniors-community-based.html
- NHSP Backgrounder: www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/news/2018/05/backgrounder-the-new-horizons-for-seniors-programnhsp.html
Village of Salisbury
- Village Website: www.salisburynb.ca/VillageOfSalisbury/
- Salisbury Community Days Schedule: www.salisburynb.ca/VillageOfSalisbury/index.php/home/community-days-2
- Rural Rides offers transportation for non-drivers, the elderly, low/fixed income families, and the disabled (not wheelchair accessible) to and from appointments, shopping, food banks access, and even social engagements. Rural Rides services are available in Salisbury, Petitcodiac, Elgin, Havelock, and all areas in between. Their services are a fraction of the cost of a taxi and provide their clients an alternative to relying on friends, neighbours, or family.
- Rural Rides Website: www.ruralridesnb.com/
Communications & Outreach Coordinator
Office of MP Alaina Lockhart
Office of the Minister of Seniors